home > Sample Design > Sample Design
- The target population of KoWePS concerns all households living across the country as of 2011.
- The KoWePS-led survey population represents 90% of the census conducted in 2005.
(Islands and special facilities are excluded.)
- The sampling frame of the KoWePS amounts to 230,000 enumeration districts (EDs)
representing 90% of the 2005 Census excluding islands and special facilities
- We selected 517 EDs (24,711 households) from the primary survey to identify family income
before extracting 446 EDs as the final sample.
- Phase 1: Take a sample of 517 EDs from the 90% of the 2005 census to investigate family income
and economic activities of family members.
- hase 2: Extract 3,500 general and low-income families from the previous survey respectively,
with a total of 7,000 sample households.
- Determine final panel households by applying 'Stratified Double Sampling' model.
Sampling Method for Additional Survey
- Additional survey for children: Of 7,072 families, a total of 759 children of 4th to 6th grades were
selected and studied for sampling.
- Additional survey for the awareness on welfare: A total of 1,259 families were extracted via stratified
random sampling for each different region from the first-year panel sample households.
Upon investigating the head of each household and spouse, we came up with 1,065 families (1,694 persons) in total.
- Additional survey for the disabled: Of the second-year panel sample households, a total of 1,000 people
were selected via stratified systematic sampling in terms of region and type of disability.
Upon the completion of the survey, we were able to extract 878 physically-impaired people of ages 15 years or older.